When making my custom Nutanix stencil package I ran into problems with shape sizes. Larger shape sizes increase the time to pull the shape from stencil to drawing. The more complex shape (with multiple sub-shapes) you have the larger it will be. Some of my original Nutanix shapes became so large that it took few minutes to pull shape into a drawing.
Fortunately there is a way to fix this situation. The main goal is to collapse all sub-shapes into one shape or image and to get rid of unnecessary shapesheets and data associated with sub-shapes.
To use this method you will need open source program called “lnkscape”
- In Visio
- ungroup complex visio shape until there are no groups.
- select all the required objects
- save as “Scalable Vector Graphics”
- In lnkscape
- new image opens in lnkscape (or open with lnkscape if *.svg filetype is associated with some other program)
- select image
- drag image from box surrounding the new image
- copy image to clipboard (CTRL-C)
- In Visio
- paste image from clipboard (CTRL-V)
As end result most of the details are still shown, but there are no separate shape sheets for each picture component or sub-shape, leading to much lower file size and reduced shape placement times.